A birth certificate is a crucial document that serves as official proof of a person’s birth. In Ghana, the Births and Deaths Registry, established by Act 301 of 1965, is responsible for managing and developing the birth registration system in the country.
The process of obtaining a Ghanaian birth certificate has been made easier with the introduction of online applications. In this comprehensive guide, we will walk you through the steps to apply for a Ghana biometric birth certificate online.
Why Do You Need a Birth Certificate?
Before diving into the application process, let’s understand why having a birth certificate is important. A birth certificate serves as a primary form of identification and verifies the correct spelling of your name. It is also required for various purposes such as:
- Registration in a school: When enrolling in a school in Ghana, a birth certificate is a vital document required during the admission process.
- Obtaining a passport: A birth certificate is necessary for applying for a Ghanaian passport. Without a birth certificate, the passport application process cannot proceed.
- Proof of age: Your birth certificate indicates your date of birth and serves as proof of your correct age. This information is often required for certain jobs with age requirements.
- Proof of citizenship: A birth certificate is an essential document for proving Ghanaian citizenship or residency.
- Opening a bank account: Many banks require a birth certificate as one of the primary forms of identification for opening a bank account.
- Receiving insurance benefits: Some health insurance companies require a birth certificate as proof of relation to dependents for coverage.
- Obtaining a driver’s license: In some cases, a birth certificate may be required to obtain a driver’s license.
Documents Required for Application
To apply for a Ghana biometric birth certificate online, you will need to provide the following documents:
- Baptismal Certificate: A copy of your baptismal certificate, which includes information about your religious baptism.
- Clinical Weighing Card: The clinical weighing card is a document provided by the hospital or healthcare facility where you were born. It contains details such as your weight at birth and other relevant medical information.
- Old Birth Certificate: If you already have an old birth certificate, you will need to provide a copy of it during the application process.
- Affidavit from Parents: If you are below 18 years of age, you will need an affidavit from one of your parents as proof of your identity and parentage.
Step-by-Step Guide to Applying for a Ghana Biometric Birth Certificate Online
Now that you have gathered all the necessary documents, let’s walk through the step-by-step process of applying for a Ghana biometric birth certificate online:
Step 1: Visit the E-Services Ghana website
Go to the E-Services Ghana website at eservices.gov.gh.
Step 2: Access the Births and Deaths Registry (BDR) Application
On the top-left side of the eServices page, click on the “BDR – Apply for Birth Certificate” section.
Step 3: Register as a New User
If you are a new user, you must register to gain full access to the online portal services. Click on the “Register” link and fill out the registration form with accurate information. Some of the required fields include your first and last names, gender, age group, country of residence, city, mobile number, education, occupation, and primary email address.
Step 4: Confirm Your Registration
After completing the registration form, a confirmation message will be sent to the email address you provided. Click on the confirmation link in the email to confirm your eServices registration.
Step 5: Begin the Application Process
Return to the E-Services Ghana website and click on the “Apply for Birth Certificate” or BDR tab. Read the instructions carefully and select the “New Applicant” option to start your application.
Step 6: Fill Out the Application Form
Carefully fill out the application form with accurate information. Make sure to double-check all the details before proceeding. Upload the required documents, including your baptismal certificate, clinical weighing card, old birth certificate, and affidavit (if applicable).
Step 7: Make Payment
Before completing the application process, you will be provided with different payment options. Use the myghpay platform by GT Bank to make the payment securely on the e-payment platform.
Step 8: Wait for Processing
After submitting your application and making the payment, your application will be processed by the Births and Deaths Registry. You will receive a confirmation message with an estimated processing time.
Step 9: Collect Your Birth Certificate
Once the processing is complete, your Ghana biometric birth certificate will be ready for collection. You will need to visit the designated office to collect your birth certificate. The collection time may vary, but it is typically within 14 working days.
Price of Birth Certificate in Ghana (Online Application)
The cost of applying for a Ghana biometric birth certificate online is GHS 50. This fee remains the same whether you apply online or at your local Births and Deaths Registry office.
Applying for a Ghana biometric birth certificate has become more convenient with the introduction of online applications. By following the step-by-step guide outlined in this article, you can easily apply for and obtain your birth certificate.
Remember to gather all the required documents and fill out the application form accurately. With your birth certificate in hand, you will have access to various opportunities and benefits as a Ghanaian citizen.
Thank you for visiting Training Forms, a site that provides useful information. I hope you get the results you're looking for in your search. This blog contains affiliate links to various products. It simply means that if you click on one of our links and then make a purchase, we will receive a little compensation. Thank you