Admission Requirements for the Institute of Local Government Studies
Institute of Local Government Studies 2018 admission requirements
While there are no information about the admission requirements for those applying for the undergraduate programme, the following are expected from prospective students who want to apply as graduates for the Master’s programme:
- For M.Sc in Local Government Financial Management, a first degree holder in Accountancy, Finance, and Commerce or in any relevant discipline from any recognized university and accredited by the National Accreditation Board can apply for this. And then, a person with the final examination certificate of professional bodies like ICA (Ghana), ACCA, CIMA, CIPFA, etc. can be considered.
- Those applying for M.Sc in Local Economic Development must be graduates with degrees in geography, planning, economics, business, or commerce and related disciplines.
- Bachelor’s degree holders in the social sciences or any other related subject, and a two-year post-graduation work experience are required to apply for M.Sc in Local Government Administration and Organization.
- Candidates applying for the Masters programme in Environmental Science, Policy, and Management are expected to have an undergraduate degree preferably in Geography, Natural Resources, Agricultural Science, Biological Sciences, Planning, Civil Engineering, Economics and other related courses. More so, such must have a First or a Second Class (Lower Division) honours degree from a recognized university/tertiary institution or from an equivalent organisation that is approved by the institute.
How to apply
- The following are the processes involved in applying for an admission into the Institute of local government studies.
Applying as an undergraduate
- The prospective student is expected to pay a non-refundable application fee of GH¢120.00 in cash or through bankers draft to the Institute of Local Government studies and crossed (& Co.). But for applicants from outside Ghana, they are requested to pay US $100.00 or its equivalent.
- Download the application form from their portal and fill in BLOCK LETTERS with all the relevant information as required.
Other things to accompany the application form include:
- Copies of certificates/results slips and any other relevant academic records are to be enclosed in triplicate.
- Three (3) recent Passport sized Photographs with one of which affixed to the form. The other 2 should be endorsed by a Senior Public Officer above the rank of Assistant Director, Lawyer or a Medical Doctor.
- Two stamped self-addressed express envelopes.
- For mature applicants, they are expected to include in the Application Form copies of their Birth Certificate and Letter of Employment.
Note: Copied documents are to be certified from the source of the document. Eg WAEC, Polytechnic, etc. or originals must be brought for verification.
Applying as a graduate
- Applicants must have First or Second Class (Lower Division) honours degree from a recognized university/tertiary institution or an equivalent approved by the Institute.
- Candidates applying should have not less than two (2) years post graduate working experience appropriate for the programme.
- Those applying in Ghana and Ghanaians are expected to download the application form from the Institute’s portal and pay the application fee of GH¢150.00 after submission. But for those applying outside Ghana and Non-Ghanaians, they are to pay a non-refundable application fee of US$150.00 or its equivalent in international money order.
- Applicants are to ensure that their academic transcripts and copies of certificates are enclosed.
- Enclose the duly filled two (2) referee’s reports attached to the application form while submitting.
- Applicants’ choice of programme of study should be rightly quoted on the top of every document including the application form.
- Every applicant is to add their recent Curriculum Vitae to the form.
It is hoped that shortlisted candidates would either be contacted via a text message, or the list of successful candidates would be published on the Institute’s official website.
Institute of Local Government Studies Ghana contact information
The locations of the Institute of local government studies are both in Accra and Tamale, and prospective candidates are expected to visit whichever is nearer to them. The contact information of both centres are below:
P.O Box LG 549
Tel: (+233) 302-508817, 302-508063, 302-508819
Fax: (+23) 302-508818
P.O Box 1852
Tel: (+233) 3720-23972
Fax: (+233) 3720-23953
Anyone seeking to be trained in public administration and development will find the Institute of Local Government Studies admission of a great need to him or her.
Please kindly visit TRAININGFORMS homepage to find out every single information you need concerning your entry to Tertiary Education